Skip to main content

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground.

I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a little humor and soggy jeans to one's life as well.

Originally, I was really annoyed that it was snowing. I'm typically of the opinion that the cold should go somewhere where it is more appreciated, which is certainly not where I am most of the time. Also, for the most part, snow doesn't really stick in Waynesburg too often in my experience, so what I imagined was some precipitation that would pretty much just make me more miserable. Happily, I was proven wrong this time.

The snow just didn't seem to want to let up today, only every once in a while taking a little break before continuing. Earlier in the day I was still rather petulant about the whole thing because, really? If it were going to snow this much, couldn't it have done it at a time that would actually get me out of a couple of classes? No, it had to snow on FRIDAY and not build up too much until I was done with that day's studies. Come on now. After that, though, I went to work for  a few hours, and when I came back outside, I couldn't help but adore the sight it made.

I love seeing the snow settle on the bare tree branches and the icicles form on the edges of rooftops. Also, my campus has these really lovely streetlamp things all down the sidewalks, which makes for an unbelievably gorgeous setting. I swear, when I see a solid layer of snow on the trees, buildings, and landscapes, the little poet in my heart starts having a wild dance party or something in my chest and I swoon a little. It makes me want to do something really romantic, like walk through a graveyard or write a sonnet about a childhood sweetheart that died and now is covered in the pure white blanket. You know, something deep and potentially morbid.

In actuality what happens is I might start out writing a romantic sonnet and end up with a silly limerick about slipping on a patch of ice and falling face first into some slush, one of my brothers likely ending up as my subject. My actions would go more along the lines of me and my friends finding a trash can lid and having a hysterical impromptu sledding session. Which we totally didn't actually do . . . heh heh.

The snow brings back a lot of great memories with my family, too, which are always welcome when I live five hours away from them eight months of the year; even if it makes me miss them, it also makes me laugh. For instance, when we were little, my brothers and I used to sled down this great hill in our back yard. Unfortunately there were pine trees at the bottom, and it was always an interesting experience sliding under them accidentally and trying to find a way to pull yourself out. Now, Mom and Dad were always outside with us when we went out, but that just made things more interesting. Especially if they stopped actually paying attention to where their four youngest children, two to a toboggan,  are for a moment, and especially if their look out spot is smack dab in the middle of the hill. I'm not sure which was better: their shocked faces when each sled took down a parent, or their freaking out over the fact that they were now part of our little ride and subsequently also part of a six person pileup beneath the pine trees. They weren't too thrilled after that one, but it was so worth it. 

So yes, today was a good day snow-wise, and for now I will forgive the coldness for being cold, just because it provided me with happy thoughts and delightful antics today and through the years, some poetic flutterings, and also something to talk about!

If you like the snow, that's awesome: go have fun and make snow angels and sleds out of whatever object or sibling you can get your hands on. It's totally beautiful out, so appreciate the loveliness  If you don't: I completely sympathize. It's also a good day to stay warm curl up with some hot coco and a book. : )




Comments

  1. "You know, something potentially morbid." :)))

    I love snow. It makes me think of the way time passes--slowly, in moments, collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the snow...well, I like the way it looks when I'm inside, looking out through a frosted pane, but I hate the slipping and sliding and falling faceforward into slush. I do, however, really like the bounce and swing of your writing voice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu