Skip to main content

Amber Ivanna and the Temple of Is That an Artifact Or Another Freaking Brick

So as many of you know, in May I graduated with a Masters in European History. Boom. Killed it. Was nearly killed myself, but also, it. Done. And now, I am in the third week of a six week archaeological field school in Jamestown Virginia. Which I would also kill, if it hadn't been dead for a few centuries already.


I mean, basically I'm Indiana Jones. Friday I escaped a cursed tomb and last Wednesday I infiltrated a Nazi stronghold. Unlike some people, though, I happened to NOT destroy a ton of priceless artifacts, which will, possibly eventually, actually end up in the museum so desperately advocated for.

Just kidding. Sort of. There are some things I can't tell you without killing you.

I'm sure this comes as a massive shock to everyone but archaeology is not, in fact, like a certain temple-destroying menace (I do have a trowel, though, which is kind of threatening if I use it right?). Thank goodness for that, though, because that seems like it would involve a lot of running and I'm not really about that life. I do end most days pretty tired, often sore, and covered head to toe in dirt after being out in the hot Virginia sun for eight hours.


Ready to outsmart some Nazis


It is spectacularly exciting, though, especially at Jamestown. See, Jamestown is the first successful English settlement in North America, though here the word"successful" is relative, since the first settlement up and vanished, so it wasn't that hard to one-up those guys.


And as far as non-relative success, though, it was really kind of a nightmare. They ate a person, guys. Possibly more than one, but for sure this one girl who they've deemed "Jane." And the facial reconstruction (which is BANGIN. I'm ridiculously impressed, like holy cow that's amazing) of that girl makes the whole scenario even worse, cuz like, they ate her. She had probably already died of starvation, but still. Ewe.

Meet Jane. Now you, too, can be slightly creeped out with me. More importantly, here's more info about her. Read it. Just seriously. But maybe not if you're squeamish. In which case better not. http://historicjamestowne.org/archaeology/jane/history/

This is also where John Smith hails from (not nearly as charming in real life, don't let Disney fool you. Though he was outrageously cocky, and therefore his writing is a delight to read) as well as Pocahontas (though also, not nearly so fun nor song-filled a story as Disney would have you believe).

Also, as of about twenty-five years ago, most people thought the location of the original Jamestown fort was long-submerged in the James River, lost to the receding shoreline over 400 years. But alas, a certain Dr. William Kelso was like "Nah, I think it's over by that old church on Jamestown Island," and BAM. Found it. (I may have paraphrased here.)

And guess which incredible Archaeologist + team that I get to work alongside of??? THAT GUY AND A BUNCH OF OTHER CRAZY AMAZING JAMESTOWN ARCHAEOLOGISTS! I did not realize this before I came so did not have time to prepare myself for working with such cool people, and so have been silently freaking out for like two weeks.

Also? They've found OVER TWO-MILLION ARTIFACTS HERE. So. Many. And I personally have dug a whole ton of stuff up. Nothing groundbreaking (haha archaeology pun), and mostly out of the context of its original time period, but it's still so cool to find things, and to know that pieces of the past are literally at the tips of my fingers.

I've been digging new sites, learning to screen dirt and find artifacts, and today was my first day in the lab. I was mostly cleaning artifacts, but also learning about how to date various horizons and how to gain information based on the context and the assortment of artifacts in relation to one another. I have been learning so much. And I've been right in the action, too, digging, screening, talking to curious tourists who ask what we're doing. I'm having an incredible time at it, and I'm doing things I never would have thought I'd get the chance to do.

It's exhilarating, being part of history in such a tangible, active way. I love reading historical narratives and and primary sources, and debating and discussing about how things were and what they mean, but holding a piece of history, or even better helping to find a piece of history that's been buried for centuries, even something as simple as a clay pipe or a bead, is an amazing experience. I can't believe I get to do something so cool. I don't know if this is where my career is leading me but I'm so unbelievably excited that this is part of the adventure.

Now, I actually literally can't post some things, so rather than tentatively post some stuff and not others, I'm going to just direct you to Jamestown's facebook page, since they post whatever they deem acceptable. Maybe we can get coffee sometime, though, and I can tell you more about what I'm doing. It's the best and I would be glad to talk your ear off:
https://www.facebook.com/Jamestown-Rediscovery-180142228694508/

ALSO, as is customary, here's the unasked-for info about my life during my free time in Virginia:

-I'm currently binge-watching my way through Game of Thrones because apparently everyone at Field School has seen it? One of the staff insinuated the group I'm in should be the Greyjoys and I'm deeply offended because they are rubbish.

For real he's the worst. His family is the worst. Literally only dislike Geoffrey more at this point, though to be fair most of the characters in this show are terrible people.

-I accidentally took a Yorktown Battlefield driving tour the other day, which was RAD, and un-accidentally played "The Battle of Yorktown" from Hamilton on repeat for the entire hour and a half I was doing it.



-Been listening to a lot of Broadway soundtracks. Singing Scarlet Pimpernel at loud volumes when my roommate is away, and hoping that my belting is not audible from other parts of the building, cuz hearing singing about guillotines may be alarming to some. I don't know, apparently it's not a normal thing to sing about?



Also still been dancing to K-POP routines when I get the chance. Though, sad day, I found out my favorite K-POP group, SISTAR is disbanding. Which is terrible. But they are still wonderful and beautiful and I still aspire to move like them.



This one's one of my faves. Try this and "Shake it." You won't be sorry. 

Then I do a lot of napping and some cooking, and I went to Busch Gardens the other day cuz it's super close by! Anyway, basically Virginia is amazing (other than accidentally driving THROUGH Washington D.C. on the way down here because my GPS is the WORST) and I am greatly enjoying my time here.

Kay, I've gushed enough for the time being. All for now. :) TALKTOYOULATERLOVEYOUBYE!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu