Skip to main content

Save the last dance for me.

"Darling, save the last dance for me."

"It might be me, but the way I see it, the whole wide world has gone crazy, so baby why don't we just dance?" 

"When we dance you have a way with me, stay with me, sway with me. "

"Just dance." 

There are probably a million other excellent examples of songs that talk about dancing. Whenever I hear such a song, a song about letting loose or holding someone close or forgetting about the world and just moving with the music, I am always drawn to that song. Why? Well, because I have been so blessed as to have such excellent experiences, and have them as often as I possibly can. 

While clearly I am not opposed to sit for hours and tap away at a keyboard, or while the way a day reading, I will never ever ever refuse a dance when I can manage it. When I am faced with the dilemma to dance or not to dance, my answer will always and forever be to dance. 

Sometimes I even think it's cooler than English. 

I know. That's super shocking, and I will understand if I am heretofore ostracized from the literary community. But let me explain first. 

I have loved dancing for as long as I can remember.When I was little I loved watching dancing, since I couldn't do it myself. Movies like Shall We Dance and Love and Dancing and a conglomeration of musicals were something I avidly sought out.  Finally, in high school, I had some friends who were also excited by the possibility of dancing something other than the jerky and somewhat seizure-like movements of high school activities. So, we found a dance club. Specifically, the Lancaster County Swing Dance Club. 

For those of you who don't know what swing dancing is, let me explain: it's awesome. Haha, actually there are two different types of Swing: East Coast(also known as the Jitterbug and has the variation of Charleston and Lindy Hop), and West Coast. I am well versed in the intricacies of the East, and am presently learning the movements of the west.

Actually, here. I'll let my good friend Brendan Fraser explain my first love, East Coast Swing :
Completely fantastic, right? I know. So. Freaking. Cool. It's even more fun to do than to watch, too. 

Here's some west coast, too. :) This is an actual competition, and these are some of the best dancers in the world. 
This dance, too, is pretty awesome. In actuality, though, most people's feet stay on the ground for the majority of the dance. 

Anyway, I was talking to a friend, way back before I could dance worth anything, and was saying how I'd love to learn all these different dances. What he told me was, "If you want to do it, then go do it!" And so I did. I learned off of youtube tutorials, people at LSDC who knew what they were doing, went to more dances, tried out new ones when they were available. 

That was about three years ago, and I've completely fallen in love with moving my body to the music. I've learned the at least basic step for both Argentine and Ballroom Tango, Cha-cha, Samba, Salsa, Mamba, Meringue, Waltz, Contra, Polka, Blues, and East and West Coast Swing. And I still do enjoy normal-two-step-slow dancing and the seizure-like jerking of today's pop culture. I'm pretty much game for anything. Proof:  I've worn through three pairs of dance shoes. I actually just got a new pair of East Coast shoes for Christmas, actually, to replace my most recently desecrated dance shoes: 

(Aren't they beautiful????  : D They make me so happy.) 

Unless you've actually experienced the exhilaration of these dances, it's pretty hard to explain, but I'll try. When I'm dancing to a fast song, it's as if the rhythm has infected my veins and there's just no way not to dance. I can't help it; I have to move. It's like when you're writing and your character takes over for you, and you feel like you cease to have control over the words that are somehow making their way onto the page. It's like that, except in the end you suddenly find yourself more sweaty than you were a couple of minutes before. For slower dances, it's like your partner and you find yourselves in a sort of fog. All you know is the music that's playing and what movements your and their body are making, how it flows together. For me, I feel almost as though I'm in a sort of trance. It's all about feeling the song. 

Now, that all probably sounds overly sentimental, but there's not much else to say to describe it. When I'm  dancing, nothing else matters. My schoolwork or social life or the love-hate relationship I have with BBC television show writers (Steven Moffat and writers of Downton Abbey, I am talking to you), all of it, no longer exists. Often, it is more healing to my body and soul than even a nap after a long day can be. 

It's also an incredible way to express yourself. I personally know that actually speaking isn't my strongest form of communication, writing is, and dancing is another way to express one's self. 

Take it away, Prince Eric (skip to about 3:00): 
I'm sorry. Couldn't resist bringing some Disney, albeit Broadway-style into this. 

Anyway, I could probably rant about dancing and why I love it and why you and everyone else should do it too, all day long. And I could also show you a million more fantastic videos of dancing- I have a Youtube playlist of them about 130-something videos long. It's a beautiful form of expression, it's a stress-reliever, it's exercise, and it's SO MUCH FUN. Also, I know about five couples who have gotten together through dancing. Just saying , it's like an unofficial dating service. I love dancing SO much and I am so blessed to have it and all of the people I've met through it in my life. I seriously recommend it.

 So, with that, I will leave you. Well, I'll leave you after showing you another video. You can't talk about dancing without mentioning Patrick Swayze. Enjoy and then, seriously, go out and dance. : ) 

Comments

  1. Love the shoes, love the video clips, and love the joy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu