Skip to main content

My Roomie


I actually have a lot of random topics I'd like to talk about, but because she is so delightful and important to me, I decided to dedicate blog number three to my roommate. :) 

To preface this all, I have been incredibly blessed in the roommate situation I've been put in for the last year and a half. Alyssa has been my roommate since the beginning of freshman year, and as far as I can tell, we're still going to be roommates when we are in our last semester of senior year. 

Alyssa is a forensic accounting major. She loves kitties and I don’t know if anything else can quite get that adoring reaction out of her; it is a sight to behold. She plays tennis, though before college she also played soccer and swam. I’m thoroughly impressed by her athletic prowess; unfortunately that makes work outs with her full of nasty things like planks. She’s incredibly smart, and she plays the piano beautifully. If she were in 18th century England, I’m quite sure she’d be considered an accomplished woman. Though, I guess, not entirely publicly acceptable, what with the sports and being as smart as or smarter than most guys. Oh, well. J

I actually knew Alyssa before college. We were part of a Bible quizzing team all through high school together and went to some of the same co-ops (oh, we were both homeschooled). We bonded over school, boys, quizzing, and the fact that our hair colors were practically the same shade of brown. Between our occasional lunches together with another dear friend of ours and the many Bible quizzing trips we’ve taken, there are some incredibly . . . interesting  ;  ) . . . stories to tell.

Then came senior year, college searches, and all that jazz. I applied to a couple colleges, got accepted, went to visit campuses, and chose Waynesburg University. I knew absolutely nobody there and was nervous about that, but was still extremely excited. I told all of my friends, including my Bible quizzing buddy. 

At this time, roomie was also looking at colleges. So, after I chose WU, Alyssa decide to check out the campus amongst her other college visits. Lucky for me, she loved it, and so now I had a friend at my college. Then we decided, excited to be going to the same college, to room together. Commence awesomeness. 

We had absolutely no idea if we could work out as roommates at all, but were pleased to realize that we made an excellent match. We have pretty much opposite majors- she, forensic accounting, I, history and creative writing- which makes it hard to have classes together but also pretty much zero possibility for competitiveness. Also, we have scarily similar tastes in a lot of things, like white chocolate, a love of coffee and tea, and the color purple. We help each other pick out outfits when the situation calls for it, and luckily we both have about the same sized feet and similarly excellent taste in shoes.

Also, we never fight. Like, it hasn’t happened. EVER. Not-a-once. And we have logged a considerable amount of time together, so I’m taking that as a good sign.

We have the same work ethic, which is superbly appreciated during midterms and finals, and when we don’t immediately have to study, we have a blast playing, as her boyfriend Aaron calls it, “the no-study game.”

While I’m describing roomie, I guess I should mention Aaron, since he is practically the third roommate anyway. What you should know about him is that he’s a comm major who thoroughly enjoys sports, food such as perogies, bacon, and corn chips, and nerdy things like Star Wars and the Legend of Zelda. And he may or may not have a board on Alyssa’s Pinterest. My main communication with him is in the form of him picking on me and poking me in the sides, the result of which is my shrieking at a tone that has been compared to a dog that’s had its tail stepped on. I do sometimes wonder about the judgment of my dear roommate in this particular aspect of life. ; )

Oddly enough, despite living together for eight months out of the year, we don’t get sick of one another. If fact, on breaks we almost always make time to see each other! Both her parents and mine have questioned our sanity in this respect, and wonder when we’re gonna snap and kill each other. Unless I’m missing something, though, or one of us gets possessed by an alien that particularly dislikes purple-lovers, I think we’re good. J

All in all, I can’t think of an individual I’d rather room with. She is so delightful and we are we work out really well. The best part, though, is that through it, we’ve gone from being just good friends to being best friends. Like I said, super-duper lucky here.  <3 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu