Skip to main content

I love coffee, I love tea, I love the java and the java loves me . . .

So I was struck with the memory that I had yet to write a  blog post this week, just as I was taking a piping hot cup of water out of my microwave in preparation for a soothing cup of tea. So, what better to write about than the drink that fuel's a writer's soul? But then I though, Coffee is really swell too, and as both drinks are everyday staples in my life, I thought I'd include them both.

Now, I know that there is a debate on the topic, so I won't tiptoe around the question: Which is better? Coffee, or tea? There are even Facebook groups for coffee lovers vs. tea lovers. Presently I sit here writing, listening to chill music and sipping green tea with peach, but earlier I was enjoying a large caramel iced coffee. Am I a traitor to one side or the other, and to be forever rejected by both? I don't know, so I thought perhaps I'd just considered the aspects of each for your considerations.

Now, Coffee first.

Now, please forgive the cringe-worthy "ur" substitute for "your" but I thought the sentiment was nice. :) 

Anyway, so, the beauty of coffee. I wasn't actually allowed to drink coffee for the first fifteen years of my life- my mom was convinced it was going to stunt my growth, though anyone whose ever seen me knows that preventing my drinking coffee did absolutely nothing to prevent me from being short. Anyway, so when I finally could drink coffee, it was the most exciting thing! And trying out all sorts of flavors and things was just one adventure for my taste buds after another. As a result, I was conditioned to think of coffee as an exciting thing. 

As for it's benefits to my everyday life, first and foremost, coffee has saved me by helping me not collapse with exhaustion when working on projects and studying for tests, or just for making it through the day. It also, in my opinion, tastes fantastic, and has many facets to the fantastic-ness of its flavor. I love my coffee with french vanilla coffee creamer, a squirt of Hershey's syrup, and topped with whipped cream ideally, though white chocolate lattes with an occasional addition of raspberry, or a caramel iced or frozen coffee are also excellent. 

In addition to just general enjoyment of coffee, it has also provided me with some incredibly hilarious stories based on my abnormal behavior that it occasionally encourages me to exhibit. For some reason, sometimes- mostly when I'm already dead on my feet and drink flavored coffee- it's caffeine sends my senses into overdrive and I get a teensy bit hyper and do things that normal and, for lack of a better word, sober, Amber would probably not do. For instance, one day I was tired and my roommate and I made iced coffee, and I drank it right before heading to choir. At the time, it was a friend's birthday, and so on the way I plucked a sweet little yellow flower to give to her. About ten minutes after I arrived, she hadn't, and so the poor flower was starting to droop.

  "Well," my addled mind thought, "I don't want this dear thing to just go to waste!" So I turned and found a guy friend standing there. "Anthony! Would you like a buttercup? I got it for Laura but she's late and it's starting to wilt and it would be so sad if it died without somebody getting it," I said in one breath. 

He considered my excited state and the tiny yellow flower being offered for a moment, then answered slowly, as if trying not to compromise my delicate state of mind, "Thank you, but no thank you. Honestly, I hate to say it but it would probably just end up in the trash." 

I sighed dramatically, "I suppose that makes sense. Well" I perked back up, "talk to you later!" 

Then I turned, and directly behind me was a nice guy that I had seen but never talked to before in choir. He looked startled at my abrupt turn, but didn't have the chance to say anything or move to either go past me or move out of my way before I speedily recited the same sentiment I had to Anthony. Poor guy. He chuckled, though, not sure what my deal was and why I, someone who he probably didn't know the name of or realize knew his name, was offering him a buttercup.  

"No, thank you, though," he answered. 

"Okay!" I said, then bounced off to my seat, a bit dejected that none of the boys wanted to give my pitiful wilting flower a home. Then Laura came in a minute later and that problem was solved, though she couldn't stop laughing when I told her the story, probably in about twenty seconds. 

That was just one instance. Later I thought back and just that made my face blaze red, not to mention my uncontrollably loud and fast speaking when on caffeine. It's incredibly embarrassing in hindsight, but it makes for an excellent story.   

Okay, so that's a little bit about my relationship with coffee. Now for tea . . .

Mmmmm. Tea. : ) I love all sorts of tea- fruity, green, herbal, English, black, white, chai, whatever I can get my hands on. Just the thought of tea soothes my soul and opens my mind. It brings to mind cozy evenings curled up with a book or typing vigorously at my computer to create something lovely. It just makes me happy. When I'm having a bad day, tea can make everything better. Honestly, my stories that go with tea are much less entertaining, but I swear, tea has magical powers. 

I have had days when I was either wanting to write and was blocked, or I had a written piece due soon that I was just not feeling the vibe for- be it a story or poem or an academic paper- but after a few sips of tea, I was ready to go. There have been days that a cup or two of tea has gotten me through writing a six to ten page single spaced paper. Then there's this blog post for instance. I sat down, not entirely sure what was going to happen, but about three sips into my lovely beverage, and now here we are, a dozen or so paragraphs and two illustrative photos later. 

Plus, it makes me feel all cool and writer-ish. That's always what I think of when I envision the stereotypical author- someone in a comfy, baggy sweater and either jeans or corduroy pants, glasses and possibly a beret sitting at a little table typing or writing in a journal, with a piping mug of tea at hand. Tea is just a very poetic thing to drink.  

So?

Given what I've just told you, it should come as no surprise that I am deeply indebted and quite fond of both drinks. One helps my writing flow and the other gives me stories to tell. One excites and the other soothes. Both have endless varieties of flavors and types, and trying new ones is always interesting. Both are good hot, or cold in the right circumstances. Either will make me a very happy person. 

For me, and for others as long as their dislike for one or the other isn't based on distaste, I think coffee and tea are wonderful, but perhaps for different situations. So, not "coffee vs. tea," but coffee in harmony with tea.  
*insert angelic sound affect here*

Okay, well I've said my piece on the subject. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions, if you care to share them. This is a safe space; I will not censure you for your love of one, the other, both, or neither. Well, good day to you, and I hope you enjoy a nice cup of one or the other if you get the chance. : ) 







Comments

  1. I drink my coffee black, and I like to think the smell of it, the warmth of it as I hold my cup, inspires me. I drink more than I should, and I know I probably have had some "buttercup" moments as a result. But there's something about the idea of tea, the making of tea, that is very writerly and soul-healing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu