Skip to main content

Sisters, Sisters, There Were Never Such Devoted Sisters . . .

Well, I told you all about my wonderful brothers; I am a lucky duck. So, I thought that logically another thing to talk about would be my sisters! Well, mostly just my next oldest sister, since I spend the most time around her.

I actually have . . . six sisters. Six sisters and four brothers. yeah. But the thing is that we've never all lived together in one house, or even, really, in one state; even if we had, our ages range from early forties to 18, so it's quite a span of years. Due to that and poor communications over the years, I regrettably do not know my oldest three very well, though I hope to remedy that in coming years. The next two, even, I have never gotten to know terribly well, as they were all grown up, married, and moved away before I was ten. Don't get me wrong, I love them all dearly anyway, and I miss them and wish I could see them more, but for now, the one I know best is my next oldest sister, Elisia. : )

First off, it's pronounced ee-lee-sha. I know it doesn't look like it, but that's how it is. She is, I believe, seven years my senior, but we've always been roommates at home, and in more recent years, been quite excellent girlfriends as well- we sometimes are so in sync that we scare people. It's pretty rad.

When I was little, actually, we did not like each other one bit. She still says to this day that that was my fault, that I let Chrissy, my next oldest sister, manipulate me and turn me against her, but  I think really it's just that she didn't like me cuz I was the youngest girl now, and really quite darling ; ). Haha, no, but seriously, for whatever reason, whether I was a manipulated little tot or she just  didn't like the idea of stuffing another girl in the already packed "girls' room," we didn't get along. I remember one instance, that now I look back on a little ashamed of and a little amused by, where I solemnly swore that I would not become like her. Nope, none of that foolishness for me, the brilliant four or five year old I was.

Maybe it was that I finally matured to a point she was more okay with, or she realized how phenomenal I was-kidding,  or I was her only sister left in the house and she finally decided she wanted a real relationship with me, but whatever it was, our relationship changed. Her going to college was one strengthener for our bond- not being able to be around one another made us realize how much our time together meant. We also found out we enjoyed a lot of the same stuff, and the stuff we originally didn't share in, we could and did learn to.

There have been so many nights when we both should have gone to bed long ago and we end up just talking and laughing deep into the night, as if we were pre-teens at a slumber party. Sometimes we were more like best girlfriends than sisters. But it was awesome, because instead of saying "we're practically sisters," like I did with all of my other friends, we actually were sisters.

As I mentioned, sometimes we scare people with our in-sync-ness. The thing is, despite our gap in ages, we look a lot like each other anyway- hazel eyes (though hers lean more towards brown and mine towards green), mostly strait brown hair, short, round/heart-shaped faces, glasses, often similar clothing . . . the list can go on and on. Then we'd make up these games together, where we'd talk in high pitched voices and read each other to a point that we could talk together, saying the same thing at the same time in practically the same tone of voice. We were like creepy twins. It can be really fun, especially when we're tired and/or hyper.

We make up all sorts of names for each other- cheese dip/corn chip and weird stuff like that, or, Elisia's favorite thing to call me is "Pooka Bear." Don't ask me where these things come from, they just do. They end up causing some pretty hilarious situations themselves, like one of my guy friends asking me "Pooka Bear?"  and another friend coming and and thinking he was addressing me as such.  His face was priceless, like, "Why are you referring to her like that? Is there something you two aren't telling us?"  Not to mention just all of the looks we get on a regular basis just for using those names.

We spend tons of time together when we can, watching movies/anime, singing, dancing, having tea parties, photo shoots whatever. This summer, even, we're planning on going to an Anime Convention one weekend with some of her friends. She introduced me to Doctor Who (see previous post) and shares my love of BBC, my love of literature and creativity, and we can talk about whatever.


And now for a musical, mostly on topic interlude, because who doesn't like those? 

So, that's a little bit of our day-to-day relationship. Elisia is a fantastic sister, would do anything for me and I for her. As well as having a loving, beautiful, strong, and supportive sister, I have a built in best friend. I don't know if you can have a better sister-relationship than that. Yay :). 









Comments

  1. Sisters, sisters...! Well, first, I love your tone and sense of humor. Second, I love your clip of White Christmas...because, well, who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu