Skip to main content

2013- So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

Hello, there, 2014- I can't wait to meet you; the possibilities are already so tremendous.

I hate to be super, I don't know, generic, but I feel like it's a good place to start. After all, it has been quite a while since I've done this. I believe the last time I did this, I was spazzing my little heart out after my first west coast swing dance event back in June. Holy Moly, how time has flown, and even Holier Moly, I can't even believe what's coming up next.

Since that time, I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding, I learned how to shoot a gun, I learned even more about dancing, made some absolutely stupendous new friends that I feel unfathomably blessed to know, and I finished the first semester of my junior year at college. I thought they were kidding when they said that the years fly by in an instant, but they were so completely right.

I am only hoping the flying by doesn't move so quickly this next semester, because, on my dear lord, I am going to Ireland in less than a month. I know I wrote about this before, but I am still having trouble believing that one of my dearest dreams are finally coming true; and, not to sound, I don't know, proud or preachy, but I am so happy that I did it through the grace of God and my own hard work and perseverance. Everyone says they want to travel, but how many people actually do?  And in just a few short weeks it'll all be paying off. Which reminds me, I hope to continue this blog while in Ireland (WOOT WOOT). And so, to kick that off, I'm going to start a countdown. Hopefully I'll get in a couple more posts before departure time. SO:

19 MORE DAYS

 So, yeah, that's whats going on. I can't believe how exciting my life is looking right now. Anyway, so New Years. I guess I'll give a couple of highlights, since I think that's a thing people do.

HIGHLIGHTS OF 2013:
Best Friend Got Married- The wedding and the week leading up to it was a blast. Me and four of my close friends were bridesmaids, and the groomsmen were all really nice, really attractive marines. It was like the best party ever, where we got to wear completely adorable little red dresses and stole marine hats, which looked super cute on us. 

Sting Swing- my school's swing dance group is just growing and we're becoming better and better. That group has become some of my best friends at college and I can't even tell you how much fun I have with them and how blessed I feel to be part of this group of weirdos. 


Met Some Great People- actually from the newbies in sting swing I made a few really wonderful friends. One of them, Angel, has quickly made her way into my heart and my most-texted-contacts list- which is saying something considering how bad I am at consistently texting anyone. 

School- I am one of those people who freakishly enjoy learning all sorts of stuff. I will tell you during school that I hate my life fairly frequently, but I really do enjoy a lot of it. I did nearly have to murder a professor for giving me a B, but he apparently decided an A- was sufficient, and so made it out with his life (note: I WOULD NOT ACTUALLY KILL SOMEONE, no matter how completely maddening and awful and terrible he is and how very tempting that option sometimes seems.)

History Stuff-you know what's really exciting? Having an idea of what you're going to do with your mostly unmarketable degree! Between my volunteering at Wheatland(Home of Pres. James Buchannan;I got to wear hoop skirts and spend hours on end in a beautiful Victorian home), and the Greene County Historical Society (I nicknamed it "Western PA's Attic." Felt like I was in Warehouse 13 sometimes, which was really really awesome. I did a lot of varied work there, some that is going to be used as a template for future volunteers.), and my Public History class (GAH PRIMARY SOURCES. <--- signs that you're a history major.) I think I know what I want to do. I want to go into public history, in museums and research and all of that beautifully fascinating stuff. I love love LOVE this stuff and I am crazy thrilled that I have an idea of what I want to do in the future. 

Being Nerdy- there has been... a lot of nerdiness happening this year. After being sucked into Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Merlin, I found myself an avid BBC fangirl and suddenly all into Sci-Fi. I went to a convention and dressed up as Clara Oswald, River Tam, and Morgana. And it was awesome. That con was actually primarily for anime and manga, and I met one of the few voice actors I knew (and totally love), Vic Mignogna, and went to some really fun stuff, and now find myself also a fan of a good number of animes. 

"Tamaki" called my beautiful ^_^
Just finished FMA Brotherhood and sobbed my poor little heart out first in sadness then in joy, and now I am in the middle of like, three other animes. Actually even just started a tumblr, at the insistence of a couple of my friends. Oh, also, not quite as nerdy per say, but HOLY CRAP ARROW. One of my new favorites.I nicknamed that show "abs," and I totally ship Olicity. 

Not really a "highlight" per say, but I've totally loved Imagine Dragons' Radioactive and Demons, and really like Andy Grammer's Crazy Beautiful and Fine By Me, too. And Hunter Hayes, cuz he's adorable. They make me happy. : ) Here, enjoy some wonderfulness: 


Now, obviously that's not all that happened. My life is made up of more than a few short bullet points, and it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows,but these are some of the things that have made the biggest positive impressions. I think I mentioned this before, but- how blessed am I? Pretty dang.

 So 2013 was pretty rad, not gonna lie. 2014 is looking like it's going to be incredible. I can't wait, but I'm nervous and a little scared, but I am so excited to have this opportunity.

 So, hopefully I'll talk to you all soon, whoever "you all" are. Have a Happy New Year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu