Skip to main content

Tea and Penguins.


Well, here we are. My last post I was starting what became my hardest semester of school ever and being kind of grumpy. On many occasions I asked why I would do this to myself and fretted that I was going to fail miserably and all my hard work would be for naught. However, happily here I sit in my Pittsburgh apartment, having achieved a 3.8 semester in the fall and looking towards the next several months with excitement. Christmas break, though shorter than I had in undergrad, was wonderful. I'm so glad I was able to be with my family- the last few months have been difficult, with moving to a new city, loads of schoolwork, and a constant over-criticism coming from my own head, but I've thankfully had some rather spectacular support in my parents, siblings, and friends. This coming year I have some really interesting classes and some truly exciting trips planned, so at this point in time, I'm generally pleased.

I'm only in the second week of the new semester, choosing a topic for a semester-long(or longer) research project and in the middle of a 500 page book about the English revolution of 1688 that needs to finished by Thursday. I should be working on that. After I read my self-prescribed number of pages, I get to read for pleasure while it's still early in my classes and I don't yet want to die. Yet. For the first time in a while I've felt like blogging. I think it was partially inspired by my visit to my new favorite shop (Margaret's Fine Imports in Squirrel Hill. Here's the website: http://www.pittsburghcuppa.com/ GO. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT) and the hot cup of chestnut tea I've been craving for weeks, steeping to my right. It makes me feel all writer-y when I have tea, and honestly with the amount of history-y focus I've imposed upon myself in the last few months, I have not had nearly enough time to pursue most of my other passions. SO before I get into my 140-pg reading for the day, I thought I'd do this.

To be completely honest I mostly am just really excited about this tea, and my new penguin tea infuser I've named Sunny (as she is a sunset color that is somewhere between orange and peach and red). But there is something else kind of exciting that I feel like talking about. And that is my current pleasure-reading, Harry Potter.

Why the heck did I wait so long? It was clearly a mistake

A large percentage of the people I meet, after knowing me for a bit, are surprised that I have never yet read these magnificent books. It's been years, obviously, since they came out, and everyone and their mother, whether they normally like to read or not, has read them and/or seen the movies. Well, I kinda saw the movies. They are on ABC family a lot, but I never just sat down and watched them, but did kinda catch snippets. Then I'm on tumblr, where everyone has not only read them, but has a great many theories and opinions and fanart regarding them. This means that, unfortunately I already know some of the important details and later reveals, like people who die, certain secrets and major plot points. Nevertheless, I find myself enthralled and half the time really genuinely surprised and always excited and brimming with so many feelings.  I'm on book four right now, and after each book I've been watching the corresponding movie.

Here I feel like I have to mention Alan Rickman and how sad I was when I heard that he died. These weren't the first films I'd ever seen him in, and I've always enjoyed his acting when I came across it. In Sweeney Todd he was spectacularly creepy and in Sense and Sensibility he was immeasurably charming. In fact, I had been texting my sister two days prior with how much I enjoyed Snape in the movies, and that I suspected that Rickman's acting, the life he gave to the character, to be the reason. I was already very attached, and so I can't even imagine how those who grew up with him in this capacity, as well as others, are feeling. So, I just wanted to mention him, because I just think it's important, and send virtual hugs to those I know feel his passing more deeply. *hug*

So, at long last I am finally getting around to reading Harry Potter. It's been amazing so far and I'm excited for when I find small pockets of time to read more. I think I would like to be in Ravenclaw, but you know I have a feeling I'd end up in Hufflepuff.

I finally understand this. And it's brilliant
Now, TEA. I don't even have a whole lot to say about it, other than I love it and am pretty excited about the kind I got today, Margaret's fine Imports is a tea shop, obviously, that carries lots of loose-leaf teas, so I wanted to get a couple I know I like and try a couple new ones. Earl Grey is one, but I found out there's a variety of Earl Grey called Dorian Grey and I am just all about that. Any reason to bring up my favorite book is a good one, and tea is probably the best one. So. Freaking. Excited.

While I'm nerding it up over here, I also purchased a Star Wars themed tea! It is Luke Skywalker tea, which I believe is mostly black tea, but with chicory and a few other ingredients added in. Yes I saw the new one. More than once. And I loved it. : )

Let's see... oh right, also, as I mentioned, chestnut. I bought some of this for a friend for Christmas, and have been dreaming about it ever since. It smells that good. I'm so very content right now with my beverage.

Also, I needed a tea infuser with which to brew these wonderful flavors, so, as mentioned, have a super adorable little penguin friend now. I think in the future I want to try loose leaf  Jasmine, and maybe a handful of other ones that look/smell amazing, some of which sound familiar, and some of which sound like they belong at Hogwarts. Seriously. One is called something about dragons and is made of scaly marble-sized (what I assume to be)seeds. If anyone has any suggestions, send them my way, as I will take any excuse to visit the tea shop.

Sunny :)

Okay. Well. I've put off James II and William of Orange for far too long, so I'd best get back to it. (Apparently people greeted that guy with actual oranges, Like the fruit. To give to him and his men or stuck on pikes that they'd wave around. I have to wonder if he got tired of that. Like "yes guys, my title has 'orange' in it. Very clever. As clever as the last dozen villages I've passed through. I don't even like citrus fruits.)

Hope everyone's new year is going well so far! Have a good one!

Also, have this video. Which I just found the other day and is basically perfect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0PhfbpNu-4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu