Skip to main content

Higher Education part II and Adventures in Adulting

So, here we are. I totally skipped writing about the part where I graduated. Welp, I did that, both majors complete. Summa Cum Laude, too. I felt superbly satisfied when I got to walk across the stage with SIX cords.

But anyway, so summer passed, I worked retail, hung out with friends, was weirdly into Fall Out Boy, which is totally not my style of music, and had some fun times- OH I drove to Georgia with my sister to see a friend- and here I am about to start a masters degree in European History. Before you ask- because everyone always does- yes I have a plan for that. I want to work in museums, in a European History type setting, possibly in Europe itself. I would consider becoming a professor, but probably never anything at a lower level of education.

I'd put the music video but it's actually super graphic. Still catchy though. I need a dance routine to this.

While that whole shebang is super exciting, what is less exciting is that I have to find a job in the city now. Which has not been a fun time, since no one has called me back. But here I am, hoping and praying that something comes out of the twelve thousand job applications I've been filling out for a month. God knows better than I do, so all I can really do is to trust that he's got me with that.

Next is the part that is both exciting and terrifying. My undergraduate roommate and I decided to stay roommates, and so now we have an apartment. It's really cute, too, and I do think I'll really enjoy living here once I'm comfortable and once my roommate actually starts living here with me. In the meantime, it's pretty but outrageously lonely. It's official. I don't like living by myself. Except for the not needing pants part. That part is okay. And also buses and figuring out the city alone scares me to the point of tears. Which is only a little bit of an exaggeration.

It's at this point, I think, in a lot of blogs, where the writer would be like, "but it gets better, and here are some tips in the meantime." Well I am not one of those writers. I'm basically just here being like "I don't know what's going on and I don't know if I like it." Pittsburgh was a more pleasant idea when I wasn't actually here.

I'm whining, though. I've adapted before, to my undergrad college, and to Ireland, so I know I'm capable of doing it here. It's just a little scary is all. And lonely. Did I mention lonely before? Because it is. I'm only in this situation for maybe two weeks and I am being a total baby about it. To the friends who have been texting me, thank you so much. I love you. You are keeping me sane.

What is good for me in the meantime, I found, is:
A) Getting crap done. Rent? Paid it. Bags and boxes? Unpacked and set up in my adorable little room. Bus pass? It caused more anxiety than I'd like to admit, but it's taken care of. Grocery shopping? Well, my parents, who are basically the most amazing people ever, did that for me before they left.
B) Drown my sorrows in Anime and tv shows I've been meaning to watch.
C) When I actually am on the brink of tears, talk to someone, and also listen to Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade. Or, you know, complain to the world about my troubles via blog.


D) Pray. Because that actually does calm me down and make me feel less lonely. If anyone else would like to do that on my behalf, too, that'd be appreciated. :)

So. Now that I've sufficiently freaked out over the internet, I'd like to backtrack and say that I am actually excited to have an apartment, and the prospect of living in a new place is a good one. A new chapter of my life has started and there are a million things that can happen. Also my new campus is super pretty, and the fountain at the river point park is lovely, too. And even if they're not close by, I have a great, loving, support system that is only a phone call away.
See? Not so bad. And quite refreshing on a warm day. 

Alright, rant over. Here's something less confusing and much funnier than what I've just written Enjoy! Talk to you later (eventually):

Okay so maybe it's not less confusing? Still hilarious though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu