Skip to main content

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway.

There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet.

But there are pros, too: Since roomie is still not here full time, I can blast Whitney Houston's "I wanna dance with somebody" and dance around the apartment like an idiot to it seven times in a row and nobody cares. Except for maybe the people outside, assuming the sound issue is the same in reverse.


Do it. You know you want to. 

Really though, I've started classes at Duquesne and I'm really excited for all of them. Incredibly intimidated, because all these students had approximately the same or higher GPA or they wouldn't be here, but excited. Okay, so this is going to sound really prideful, and I apologize if you ever thought I was above that; that misconception probably should be broken sooner or later anyway:

One of the most intimidating things at this point isn't the classes themselves, but the other students. You know, I never had that "I was a big fish in a little pond" issue going from high school to college, because in college I was still one of the smart ones, and it still wasn't a terribly big pond if we're being honest here. I was, am, and probably always will be one of those people who freak out over a B. And it's not that I'm not still smart, but it's very strange and a little bit of a blow to my vanity to be in a situation where my intellect is average at best. And I don't really like the feeling. So, I have two options here: suck it up and get a little humility (which I swear I am trying to do, because I'm really not as smart as I, and some other people, like to think I am) or become one of the smartest kids again (assuming my motivation holds up, this is probably actually what's going to happen. I'm not even that competitive of a person, but one time a professor used a paper from "one of his best students" as an example and I made it my ultimate goal to write a better one than that hussy).

Really though, I think I'm really going to appreciate these classes. They're going to be a lot of work, but the subject matter has already got me interested, and the professors are all really nice.

Also, the bus system is slowly becoming less terrifying. Though the one bus I was in the other day did start to wig out, so we all had to get out and catch the next one. Additionally, most of the random people I've ended up talking to (primarily to ask for directions) have been really nice. I met this one lovely person on the bus the other day and we chatted for a good bit of the drive. Pittsburgh's still kind of scary, but I'm kind of getting used to it. And I've had a couple of friends stop by and spend time with me (I love you so much. Thank you <3), so that's helped, too.

This baby is my new best friend.
It's also super pretty. There are some kind of sketchy places that are probably best to avoid, but others seem quite nice. Despite being outrageously expensive, the bus pass does give me a refreshing bit of freedom. There are a good many things I'd like to go see in Pittsburgh, like the Carnegie museums, the library, and I kinda wanna tour Pitt's campus, because I ride past it all the time and it is lovely. Places like Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and downtown, are all really pretty, too. Once I'm more used to living here, and hopefully with Roomie, because it's always more fun with friends, I'd like to explore a little more.

I still miss my family a ton, as well as my friends back home and from my undergrad school. I am kind of irritated that I FINALLY got comfortable in Waynesburg and here I am having to get used to another place. So, I'm still not 100% happy with being here, but I am looking forward to what I'm doing, and I'm slowly starting to appreciate what Pittsburgh has to offer (and let's be real, if the museums are half decent I think I'll probably get over my issues pretty quickly). And anyway, I've been really truly blessed through all of this, and for that I couldn't be more thankful. I can pout all I want, but for real I am so loved and so cared for, by my heavenly Father and by all the people who are there for me. That alone has already gotten me pretty far, so there's no reason to think it won't carry me farther.

So, that's my update. And now it's my bedtime. But first, I saw this earlier - I was looking up dance routines to various FOB songs, cuz I have a problem (but seriously if you see any good ones let me know) and I stumbled across this.  Don't ask questions, just watch it. It's really dumb, but hilarious, and it's better because I'm pretty sure Fall Out Boy actually posted it themselves (correct me if I'm wrong):
See? Absurd but hilarious. 

Anyway, so that's all. T.t.f.n., ta ta for now. : )

Comments

  1. with the noisy boys and car alarms, well, for me, it would be like home...getting used to a new place is good practice for future work in Europe...and i have rocked out to whiney houston many years before you were born..."teach the children well"
    loves!!
    momma K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu