Skip to main content

Starlog II

Starlog 2. Stardate  2/3/2020.

The question: To what extent did the business model of network television enable Star Trek: The Original Series to appeal to such a wide range of audiences? In what ways did that same model constrain it?

The model for network television benefited Star Trek because what they were asking for was what made it such a compelling show. It was started at a time when the goal of networks was to air content that would appeal to a wide audience, and which would keep that audience interested so they didn't switch the channel during a commercial break. That, combined with Lucille Ball, owner of Desilu productions, supporting the show herself, gave it the space to create something that people really responded to. 

The way the show was relaunched after the initial pilot was action-packed and exciting- content that viewers were willing to sit through commercials for. It was also engaging to look at, with brightly colored uniforms and visions of space and new planets. But while it moved away from the "too cerebral feeling of the first pilot, I really don't think that it gave that up entirely. Something I felt while watching it, which may or may not have applied to its initial audience, is that it brought up topics, both lighthearted and serious, that could appeal to older audiences as well as those who showed up for the action. It had its laser fights, but it also had a cast of characters that worked together as a unit and addressed genuine societal issues in a way that started a conversation. Captain Pike was replaced with Captain Kirk, someone serious and "cerebral," with someone full-of-life, energetic, and dramatic, though still with a depth of character that made him appealing in a variety of ways, not just to watch but to care for and engage with as a fan.  [This is not a comment on the network model, but I just wanted to take a moment to say thank goodness they didn't really change Spock that much because he is PERFECT and no I will not hear any argument on the matter.]

Of course the problem with the Network television model was that it was an expensive show to produce, and without those demographics telling the producers that the audience that really came out for Star Trek was the ever-valuable younger demographics. That, combined with Lucille Ball's company being bought by Paramount, resulted in the cancellation of it. 

Update: I am an ENSIGN now watch out 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu