Skip to main content

Starlogs IV-VII

Starlog IV-VII. Stardate 2.29.2020

Hello friends! I've gotten a little behind due to life things, but I am determined to finish this course within the allotted time. So here we are! I thought I would put all the Starlogs I'm behind on into one post

STARLOG IV
"What star trek technology is on your list of must haves? could the star trek universe exist without this type of tech? Would it be better or worse with or without this tech.

I have to agree with the video- I would really love to have a transporter. It would be the best thing to be able to transport across thousands of miles in a matter of seconds. I think the Star Trek Universe could exist without this tech- there have been a few instances where they have had to, if I recall correctly. It does undoubtedly make their jobs better and easier- while other methods of transport are possible, this tech makes it so that they don't have to land a massive star ship on every planet they come to. It also significantly decreases the time they have to take to get on or off of those planets or bases.

With the exception of the transporter, however, I am constantly amazed at how much Star Trek tech is taken for granted these days because we have it in real life! Of COURSE it makes sense to have direct, wireless communication to the ship in the form of communicators, to have wireless technology to help with study, exploration, science, and medicine, even to have doors that whoosh open when you walk towards them. It blows my mind that none of that existed then, though! The writers and creators had to make those, if not the physical reality of them, the idea and vision of them. It's so common today to have a cellphone, to have ipads, to have automatic doors! Isn't it wild to imagine being the creators of Star Trek when that just didn't exist and so someone just thought it up!


STARLOG V
Where do you see artificial intelligence going? Will it be Data, the Doctor, or something new? Do we need to fear it, embrace it, or something in between?

Artificial intelligence has already come so far, and gone in a lot of different directions. I do enjoy the AI robots that physically imitate humans- they're both fascinating and a little unsettling, if I'm honest. As for whether we should fear it or embrace it, I think a little of both is the healthiest option. That is not to say that I think AI's are inherently to be feared, BUT they are created by and used for the purposes of humans. They are only as trustworthy as the people making and controlling them, and that can, of course, vary wildly.

On one hand, this tech is so innovative, and can do so many good things for so many people, whether that is simplicity and convenience, or something that can be life-changing for people with disabilities. Tech like this can be and has been developed for people with all kinds of limitations, and I think that's incredible! On the other hand, as I'm sure many people are aware, it also results in so much personal information potentially being mined. I don't know if there is a good answer, to be honest-I think some people need this tech, and with continuous development it can be such an amazing resource- but there's also always the risk of invasion to personal lives and information.


STARLOG VI
Think of a global issue that we are facing today that causes fear or concern. what would be the plot of a television show that depicted a utopian and optimistic vision of the future of that issue?

One obvious global issue that we're facing is that of climate change. While this is only partially social and much  more physical, I would love to see an optimistic future take on this issue. The plot could be something like: a small portion of the globe that has survived/thrived within a limited ecosystem that is helping the rest of the world rebuild from the inevitable problems already arising from climate change. In an educational spin, it could tackle each individual aspect of climate change- melting ice caps, unpredictable/wild storms in places like the Gulf of Mexico and the midwest. Melting permafrost and the various objects and bacterial elements that are being thawed along with it. I like the idea of  taking a major global issue ( and there are SO many) and addressing it in a way that doesn't make you feel hopeless. Knowing the consequences of the current course is so important, and acknowledging and even "throwing it in people's faces" does have value- if they're not concerned, why would anything change- but there is also value in tackling it from an angle of "okay, what can we do to fix it, what can we do so that the future doesn't look so bleak."


STARLOG VII
At the end of the video Margaret says that space exploration was controversial in the 70's and 80's. People wondered why the govt was spending time and money exploring the solar system when critical problems existed here on earth. What do you think? should the government resolve earthly issues before exploring space? or is a scientific investigation of distant worlds a fundamentally human endeavor of exploration? explain your argument

That is actually kind of a hard question for me. One side of my brain, the hard logical side says that space is cool but we have more immediate needs to address. That's not even to say that space exploration and NASA's current endeavors should stop, it's more that they can continue on as they are but perhaps additional effort doesn't need to be put into those programs. We've survived this long not knowing the things we don't know about space, we'll probably be fine if it takes a little longer to do more. There are things that could benefit from the money and effort that could go to NASA that might help people in a more immediate way.

The other side of my brain loves the idea of exploration and discovery. I think it might really be an inherent part of human nature to be drawn towards the unknown and the potential for "new life and new civilizations," or even just some cool, new, science stuff. There's a lot to be said for things that aren't "strictly necessary." Art, reading, music, dancing, media, even arguably this class, aren't things you will die without. But they do enrich your life to be worth living, they do increase mental health, and they excite. Space exploration is less "arts and humanities," but it awakens the same kind of wonder, and can actually lead to things that benefit humanity both scientifically and in that more emotional sense.

I do think that if we can help someone now, we should do it. I don't know that that is mutually exclusive of continuing or expanding NASA's current work. There are certainly other places national budgets could be altered. Maybe these two possibilities, space or welfare, don't even have to be in the same discussion. I do think further exploration, physical and research/experiment- based has a lot of value, and we shouldn't abandon it, in any case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so it's not so bad

Okay, so I realize that my last post was kind of whiny and sad. I legitimately did not mean to make my roommate feel bad about leaving me all alone, so sorry about those things. After about two weeks of Pittsburgh, I think I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, though. And also I'm still kind of a little hermit who is starting to forget what the sun looks like, I've just read nearly two hundred pages of history homework, and so I've decided to spend some time blogging. Anyway. There are still some big cons to being here: I swear I can hear everything that happens outside this building, and the windows and doors are all completely shut, I checked. I can't hear other tenants, but that group of adolescent boys walking down the street and being generally ruckusy, I can hear them and the car alarm across the way clear as day. And also bus passes are freaking expensive and make me a sad person, especially since the whole job thing has not happened yet. But

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So originally I had another idea planned for post numero dos, however I have been otherwise inspired. : ) Why? Because it's snowing in Waynesburg, and for the first time this winter, it is sticking for more than a couple of hours, and there are actually several inches of the fluffy whiteness on the ground. I have a love-dislike relationship with snow. Or rather, I love snow, but I really dislike the one property that makes it a possibility, and that would be the cold. If snow could come without freezing my butt off, I would be unbelievably stoked. And a little concerned. But mostly stoked. Oh, and it's also not so great for those of us who have an issue walking straight normally. So yeah, it has its perks and its downsides, but who really wants something to be really fun and pretty if it doesn't also have the quality of making everyone's uncoordinated friends make a fool of themselves? I mean, elegance is awesome, but it's pretty great to know that it can add a

To start out with

So, I've thrown around the idea of starting a blog for some time now, and came to the conclusion that I never would. I thought, "Everyone and their five brothers has a blog, and despite the fact that they all hope people will read it, maybe two actually do and one of them is their Mom." As it turns out, for a class that I'm taking as a Creative Writing major, I am, in fact, required to start a blog. Guess I came to the wrong conclusion, there. Oh well, this could actually be kinda fun.  : ) I guess my first post should be a little bit about me, the author.  My name is Amber, and  as I mentioned, I am a creative writing major, and I am also double majoring in history. I know- I have made some seriously excellent choices for an economically sound future. You know that now you all want to go change your majors, and then we can all get together and have a community of box-dwelling authors who have deeply intelligent conversations about the influences of corn on the cu